New Year New Affirmation
The thought of a new year (Hello 2021!) comes with it the feeling of a new desire or perhaps reviving one that was shoved in the corner, particularly when you think about how bizarre 2020 was for most of us.
Although I personally believe your fresh start can start at whatever moment you choose – meaning you don’t have to wait for a new year, new month, week, day to start anything. You know the saying ‘Just do it’ (Thanks Nike) or ‘The best time to start was yesterday, the next best time is now’. However, I also understand the idea around giving ourselves time to map out an action plan and brace up the greatness that is about to emerge, which I guess the start of a new year or week presents to us. In essence, whether you’re team ‘New Year New Me’ or team ‘Just do it’ I get you and your feelings are valid.
What’s the big deal about positive affirmations?
If you’ve been on a personal development journey, you probably already know a lot about the power of positive affirmations. While I do believe there is a lot of power in the words that you consistently say to yourself, which echos your thoughts and the state of your mind (meaning you have to first work on your mindset), using affirmations in no way diminishes the required work necessary to back it up.
Affirmation is not an easy way out for laziness period!
What’s the point of positive affirmations then?
In my experience, affirmations prompt me to do one of three things:
- Remind me of the greatness within me especially when I don’t feel like it
- Spur me to action so that my word and actions are in align
- Help me visualise (i) my desired end goal (ii) remember why I started rather than focusing on the not-so-good and sometimes disastrous moments because there will be lots of them (you know just like the ‘unprecedented 2020’)
Okay! Let the affirmations begin
I have written the top 8 things that guide my personalised daily affirmations. Feel free to follow mine and create your affirmations using any of these. PS – my free personalised 10 daily affirmations.
- The one that helps me to look deep within myself and reinforces my uniqueness and confidence.
- Everything I need is already within me
- The one that calms my nerves in a world that is always (again always) on the fast lane.
- I take care of myself by resting
- I make better decisions from a place of rest and calm
- I am letting go of all my worries and fears.
- I am taking a moment to rest so that I can be recharged for what is ahead
- The one that pushes me outside my comfort zone because great things really do happen there
- I learn and grow when I stretch myself beyond my comfort zone
- It’s okay to do it afraid
- The opportunities before me are limitless
- I’m learning to be comfortable with feeling uncomfortable as I stretch myself’
- The one that connects with my Christian faith
- God is within her and she will not fail – Psalm 46v5
- Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfil his promises to her – Luke 1v45
- The one that keeps my focused regardless of unfavourable circumstances.
- My journey is unique to me and things will happen for me at the right time
- I am able to rise above challenges
- I am leaning into courage today
- The one that ignites gratitude
- I am thankful for a new day, for supportive friends and family
- I am thankful for the resources within and around me that help me to reach my goals
- The one that encourages me to say it just how I desire it
- My desire to ‘insert specific dream here’ is valid and I will keep working towards it.
- I am taking courageous steps to go after my dreams
You can download my free personalised 10 daily affirmations. I suggest you print it and pin it on your kitchen or bedroom wall (or wherever you won’t forget) OR save a copy as your home screen to remind you to speak positive words on courage, success, confidence for daily motivation, especially on days you don’t feel like it. There are also a number of apps that provide daily or personalised affirmations, let me know in the comment section if you’re interested in this.
Which affirmation reasonates most with you?